Most companies are always looking for internships. Interns are a great way to give someone just starting off some experience and a way for you to get some help within your company. It’s normally a win win situation especially if you are a company that is just starting out. I myself have asked for interns for my magazine because we are a new company and I can’t afford to pay but the experience that I give is benificial if you want to go into the marketing, writing, or communication field. I let you make the calls and I don’t mold you into what I think you should be I let you take initiative and listen to your views and opinions because although you may not be getting paid your voice is still a part of this team and I want it heard. Internships are crucial they have their good sides and bad
- They can help you decide if you made the wrong career choice before you go and find your dream job
- You can get credit for doing internships for your coursework
- You can gain valuable references and get to know people this is also a great networking tool.
- The internship job can lead to a big payoff if the company likes you
- Most internships you don’t get paid
- If you don’t stand out you won’t get noticed and you will be treated like an intern with no growth
- Not doing things in your field and doing things that have nothing to do with what you are going to school for
I have interned before and it made me realize that I was not in the right field so it was a saving grace for me. I don’t mind doing work for free if its something I love and I know that I have a voice within the company what I don’t like is that these big companies that can afford to pay interns don’t. I should not have to work at HP for free or work at a 5 star restaurant without some type of stipend or payment. I have noticed a lot of companies trying to get their work done with free labor and although this may be ideal for people who just want the experience this is not ideal for people who have to work and have no time to do internships in the day when it interferes with their real jobs. I have even heard of some older folks doing interns these days so they can have something on their resume. I do accept interns but I make it plain that when I get paid you get paid. I am doing work in my own company for free because I love it. I do offer my interns a way for them to promote their own business/blog so we both can benefit in some type of way because I believe in being fair.
What are your thoughts on working for free? Would you do it if you didn’t have any money just so you can get something on your resume? Let’s discuss…..